Each separate subject here at St Mary's has a Lead teacher or team. In Science, the the team includes Mrs Steele and Miss Friel. They bring a wealth of experience and enthusiasm to the subject and great pride in the many changes occurred, including the Science Extravaganzas, which have been received well by all stakeholders in recent years. Mrs Steele currently teachers in Nursery. Miss Friel currently teaches in Year 2.
Each subject also has a Link Governor, who supports and monitors progress, in conjunction with guidance from the SLT. In the case of Science, this is Mrs Roberts. Mrs Roberts is an experienced science teacher who is thorough, supportive and well informed.
Each class has its own class page, where homework, projects, home communications etc are publicised and shared on a very regular basis. Some views from parents on these, will also be shared here in the forthcoming months for you to understand how we work, a little more.
Please bear with us as we are developing this new way of sharing with you, over time. Thank you.
Our Curriculum philosophy is below, showing why we do it the way we do it here at St Mary of the Angels.
- provide stimulating environments, thereby developing children's curiosity and interest in Science
- develop basic scientific knowledge and conceptual understanding,
- encourage children to use and develop their knowledge and understanding of Science,
- develop the children's communication and co-operative skills,
- develop the children's sensitivity to the living and non-living environment
- encourage children to develop creativity and inventiveness,
- develop children's powers of observation and investigation,
- encourage children to develop ideas which will enhance their understanding and questioning of the world ,
- ensure that there is clear progression in scientific skills from nursery through to Year 6
Some examples of Key Knowledge organisers are below. These help you to know what is being taught and when, for your child. Hopefully, they also give you a flavour of the type of vocabulary and the type of learning that will take place in each year for your child.
A flavour of our children's views are below, so that you can see that we listen to children and they empower us to help them become effective leaders. You can also hear that our methods are effective.
- Our Key Knowledge Organisers help us know more, Eg different materials do have different properties
- They help us to spell the names of different materials
- Our Key Knowledge Organisers help us to remember information
- They help us to understand the meaning of some of the new vocabulary- where it gives you the definition of the words
- They help to separate out our topics
- If you need to find out something about materials, all the information is there.
- They help us to spell longer words
- You can find the information that you did not know before and you can use it in your writing
Our Long term overview is below. This helps to map out what is being covered and taught when and where across the school in Science, currently. It might also help you as parents to plan and link into the work we are covering and when.
Our Action Plan in Science is below
Our Policy in Science is below
Once again SMA children showcased their scientific ability and enthusiasm in the Science Extravaganza exhibition which took place in October 2023
The "Biscuit Bonanza" proved very successful with many people attending and expressing their admiration for the high standard of work and the clear progression it showed from Nursery to Year 6. Adults and children alike also had fun engaging in the interactive displays provided.
Congratulations on another successful event.
Our assessment methods are summarised here for you.
Teachers are now using planning from Twinkl as a teaching tool and assessment bubbles to assess the children's knowledge and understanding
Working scientifically objectives are tracked termly in phases on the school system.