Each separate subject here at St Mary's has a Lead teacher. In Science, the Lead teacher is called Mrs Steele. She brings a wealth of experience to the subject leadership and great pride in the many changes she has supported and facilitated across her leadership, including the Science Extravaganzas, which have been received well by all stakeholders in recent years. Mrs Steele currently teachers in Y1.
Each subject also has a Link Governor, who supports and monitors progress, in conjunction with guidance from the SLT. In the case of Science, this is Mrs Anderson and Mrs Davin. Mrs Anderson is an experienced counsellor and ex teacher who holds the children of St Mary’s and their success close to her heart, also. She is thorough, supportive and well informed. Mrs Davin is a retired retail manager who has the wisdom of a grandparent to combine with the rigour of a professional; she does it seamlessly.
Each class has its own class page, where homework, projects, home communications etc are publicised and shared on a very regular basis. Some views from parents on these, will also be shared here in the forthcoming months for you to understand how we work, a little more.
Please bear with us as we are developing this new way of sharing with you, over time. Thank you.
Our Curriculum philosophy is below, showing why we do it the way we do it here at St Mary of the Angels.
- provide stimulating environments, thereby developing children's curiosity and interest in Science
- develop basic scientific knowledge and conceptual understanding,
- encourage children to use and develop their knowledge and understanding of Science,
- develop the children's communication and co-operative skills,
- develop the children's sensitivity to the living and non-living environment
- encourage children to develop creativity and inventiveness,
- develop children's powers of observation and investigation,
- encourage children to develop ideas which will enhance their understanding and questioning of the world ,
- ensure that there is clear progression in scientific skills from nursery through to Year 6
Our Autumn Term 2022 Key Knowledge organisers are below. These help you to know what is being taught and when, for your child. Hopefully, they also give you a flavour of the type of vocabulary and the type of learning that will take place in each year for your child.
A flavour of our children's views are below, so that you can see that we listen to children and they empower us to help them become effective leaders. You can also hear that our methods are effective.
- Our Key Knowledge Organisers help us know more, Eg about plants
- They help us know the parts of a plant. I know that about deciduous - the leaves fall off in Autumn.
- Our Key Knowledge Organisers help us to remember information
- They help us to understand the meaning of some of the new vocabulary- where it gives you the definition of the words
- They help to separate out our topics
- If you need to find out something about materials, all the information is there.
- They help us to spell longer words such as evaporation
- You can find the information that you did not know before and you can use it in your writing
Our Long term overview is below. This helps to map out what is being covered and taught when and where across the school in Science, currently. It might also help you as parents to plan and link into the work we are covering and when.
Our Action Plan in Science is below
Our Policy in Science is below
Some examples of our successes are here for you to appreciate. These link in with parent and governor views also.
Our assessment methods are summarised here for you, with a working example of what actually happens within the classroom, for you to appreciate, also.
Children complete a "Show off sheet" in Years 1/2, a "Boasting bubble" in Years 3/4 and a "Key reflection grid" in Years 5/6 to demonstrate their knowledge and learning at the end of each topic. We are reviewing this method at the moment, with a plan this autumn term to use an alternative assessment sheet, moving forward.
Working scientifically objectives are tracked termly in phases on the school system.